Learning outcomes: by the end of this session participants should:
- Understand the principles of emergency first aid and how to support a casualty until medical services arrive.
- Understand how to treat basic emergency first aid situations.
- Provide support to an unconscious, breathing casualty, including primary survey, secondary survey, and recovery position.
- Know how to respond to a choking casualty.
- Know how to deliver Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) until emergency services arrive.
- Understand how to deal with different types of wounds and bleeding.
- Understand how to deal with burns and scalds.
- Know how to support a casualty in shock.
- Recognise the signs of stroke and heart attack.
- Understand the importance of avoiding cross-contamination.
Training methods used
All of our training sessions are intended to be as interactive as possible. Participants are encouraged to ask questions, make comments and bring up their own issues. We use lots of different methods including quizzes, case studies, video clips and small group work as well as direct teaching. We want participants to leave the session saying “that was really enjoyable – and it was directly relevant to my working life.”